Competition and Regulation
AVL is a pioneer in competition and regulation law. Providing proper counsel requires not only knowing the law, but also understanding how each market’s competitive forces operate. The practice of our interdisciplinary team of expert attorneys combines a deep understanding of both economics and the law.
We support our clients through key moments, from avoiding anti-competitive behavior through compliance programs to counseling them during investigative and judicial proceedings.
- We have successfully provided counsel to a national guild in one of the main cartel cases which involved an alleged collusion among its members, achieving the case’s dismissal and the reversal of a decision to initiate a formal investigation.
- We provided counsel to a pharmaceutical company during an investigation initiated by the competition authority on an alleged refusal to supply products to state hospitals.
- We have carried out consultancies for the World Bank and the OECD on the status of competition and regulation in Ecuador’s energy, gas, telecommunications, postal, transport, and water industries.
- We have obtained prior authorizations for mergers and concentrations of companies in the gas, beverage, food, insurance, and pharmaceutical distribution industries.
- We have implemented over a dozen preventive audits and compliance programs in, among others, the pharmaceutical, insurance, automotive, gas, cement, telecommunications, food, transport, and logistics industries.