AVL offers a specialized full-service legal practice for the life sciences industry. Our client portfolio in this area includes manufacturers of pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter items, medical devices, and diagnostic products, as well as foodstuffs, cosmetics, other mass consumer goods, and agrochemicals. We also counsel and represent pharmacy chains and medical personnel.
- Represented a pharmaceutical laboratory before administrative and judicial authorities in the suspension of several wrongly granted health registrations.
- Counseled a pharmaceutical laboratory in challenging the price ceiling imposed by the regulator on certain drugs through a price setting system.
- Counseled the main pharmacy chains in Ecuador on state regulation of the sector.
- Provided ongoing support to our clients on the use of their customers' and stakeholders’ personal data.
- Counseled in negotiations concerning alternative State procurement models, including leasing contracts, loan and restitution contracts, and donations of medicines, medical devices, and equipment.
- Counseled and provided support to several pharmaceutical and medical device laboratories on the various stages of public procurement processes.
- Counseled a number of pharmaceutical laboratories on implementing programs for regulatory compliance and control regarding medical device and medicine advertising.
- Counseled a pharmaceutical laboratory on instituting a pharmaceutical sales rep program and prescription drug advertising plan.
- Implemented dozens of biosecurity programs in various industries during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Counseled pharmaceutical companies in negotiating representation, agency, commission, distribution, and logistics operation agreements.
- Successfully counseled a major distribution group in an inquiry by the competition authority concerning alleged abuse of market power.
- Counseled a pharmaceutical laboratory on its entire agency, distribution, and product pricing framework in Ecuador.
- Counseled a pharmaceutical laboratory on its product discount program, ensuring that they comply with competition regulations and avoid engaging in discriminatory or predatory practices.
- Counseled a pharmaceutical company in an investigation opened by the competition authority on alleged refusal to supply products to state hospitals.
- Counseled pharmaceutical laboratories and distributors in competition authority investigations of possible collusive agreements, price discrimination, and abuses of power.
- Counseled the main pharmacy chains in Ecuador in a government inquiry into price discrimination and exclusive distribution complaints.
- Successfully counseled several pharmaceutical companies in an investigation of alleged unfair practices in medicine labeling.
- Implemented more than a dozen preventive competition audits and compliance programs in the pharmaceutical, food, and logistics industries, among others.