AVL’s specialized lawyers represent our clients in all phases of disputes, from assisted negotiation between parties and legal counsel in national and international mediation and arbitration proceedings to the enforcement of mediation decisions and arbitration awards.
We specialize in disputes whose settlement requires careful and strategic management. Our cases often involve a combination of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms (such as mediation and arbitration) and actions in the ordinary courts.
- Took part in the defense of several oil and gas investment arbitrations lodged against the State of Ecuador under ICSID rules.
- Took part in the defense of an Ecuadorian municipal government in two international arbitrations under ICC rules in Santiago de Chile concerning the construction of a railway project.
- Provided counsel in a telecommunications sector dispute under the Ecuador-Bolivia investment treaty.
- Counsel to a Latin American state on the constitutional and legal regime applicable to foreign investments in Ecuador.
- Various international trade arbitrations under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) involving the infrastructure, security, and aviation industries.
- Combination of arbitration and constitutional actions to prevent environmental damage from mining development.
- Counsel to a logistics company in an arbitration against a construction company for construction defects and gross negligence.
- Dozens of local mediation and arbitration processes in the telecommunications, financial, mining, services, gas and oil, and construction industries under the rules of the Quito Chamber of Commerce, the Ecuadorian American Chamber of Commerce, and the Guayaquil Chamber of Commerce.
- Counsel in dozens of non-material damage lawsuits in local courts.